PubMed2XL 2.0 now available for download [Sun, 07 Jul 2013 20:11:31 +0000]
PubMed2XL 2.0 is now available.
You can read the documentation and download the newest version here [http://blog.humaneguitarist.org/projects/pubmed2xl/].
There are a few notable changes to the graphical user interface (GUI) and lots of huge changes under the hood.
As far as the GUI the visible changes are as such:
* You will now get notified by the software if a newer version of the software is available;
* You can now turn the processing of book (non-journal) citations on/off;
* You can toggle between Excel 2007 (.xls) and OpenDocument (.ods) output;
* You can now save your preferences;
* You can inspect a stylesheet [http://blog.humaneguitarist.org/projects/pubmed2xl/#stylesheets] and see the column title names before selecting that stylesheet;
* ... and there's even a simple logo (below) thanks to klukeart [http://www.iconarchive.com/artist/klukeart.html]'s icon on IconArchive [http://www.iconarchive.com/].
And for programmers there is now a "pm2xl.py" Python library that has lots of functions that I hope might be useful for folks. The GUI is now built on top of the library so there's a clear separation of concerns between data processing functions and user interface. Non-Python programmers can also call the library functions via the command line.
OK, here's the logo (made with Inkscape [http://inkscape.org/]):
IMAGE: "PubMed2XL 2.0 logo"[http://blog.humaneguitarist.org/uploads/PubMed2XL/pm2xl_v2_logo.png]
I'd also like to say congrats to Andy Murray for winning Wimbledon today!